POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : NEW: Rendering on multiple PC's with many CPU's : Re: Numbers ... Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:39:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Numbers ...
From: Theo Gottwald *
Date: 10 Aug 2002 13:19:15
Message: <3d554b13@news.povray.org>
I hope I understand what you want to say.

Several scenes have a long  "precalculation-time".
In some scenes the real rendering part is rather small.

However that is theoretical.
Try my programm and feel the diffrence when you render your picture on three
computers.
Feel the brute force.

If I render things in pieces I have other advantages:
- better caching inside the CPU/L2
- geometries outside that area get not touched.
- Just try it: render a small piece of your actual picture. Now think that
in the same time other PC's have just
   rendered the rest of the pic. Thats it.

However, if you have two or more PC's you should try my program
and see the advantage.

In most cases there is a real advantage of (I guess) 25% -45% (2 CPU's).
We know that this numbers heavily depends on the resolution and the
precalculation-time.
It may not be intresting to make small pictures with a long
precalculation-time.

In every case its intresting in resolutions higher then 640x480.

If you compile it with a faster C-Compiler you get lousy 7%. If you render
it distributed you can get it in a quarter of the original time.

See it and feel the diffrence.You don't need to have a network with 8 PC's
in your bussiness.
But if you have ... thgen you're lucky :-) cause you have three CPU's more
then me :-))).

On each of these PC's there must be a installation of POV 3.5.
It should be in W2k or up. (tested with).

Under these circustances the Programms should not even need an installation.
Just copy the folder somewhere and share it if you want to render
distributed (not necessary for SMP-rendering).

Thats all you need to get your "1 week picture" in  less at the same day !

Example: Try to edit glasses.pov (one number must be changed to enable the
photons).
Render it "the normal way" at 1600x1200 and wait 3-4 days for the result.

Then use my system and distribute it on several PC's. Get your pic at the
same day !

It works fine for me. I'll work on the surface a bit and then publish it on
my web-site.
However anyone who is intrested can qualify for beta-testing.

Thanks
--Theo